SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting of Man in East Gwillimbury
Case Number: 21-OFD-040
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFD-040
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on February 6, 2021, York Regional Police officers were dispatched to a residence on Ridge Gate Crescent for a weapons call.
- Upon arrival, officers located a deceased woman at the front door of the residence.
- Officers then entered the residence and became involved in an interaction with a man. Two officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck. He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- Two children and a woman were transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342