SIU Investigating Man’s Death in London
Case Number: 21-OCD-036
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCD-036
- At approximately 3:30 p.m. on February 1, 2021, London Police Service (LPS) officers arrested the man for failing to comply with conditions. He was taken to LPS headquarters where he was processed and lodged in a cell.
- At approximately 9:05 a.m. on February 2, 2021, the man advised officers he was not feeling well. As a result, Emergency Medical Services arrived and subsequently transported him to hospital.
- While in hospital, the man passed away.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342