SIU Investigating Death of Man in Sault Ste. Marie
Case Number: 21-OCD-027
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on January 23, 2021, Sault Ste. Marie Police Service officers were dispatched to an apartment building located at 275 Albert Street East for an unwanted person. It had been reported that a man was in the lobby and was in possession of a knife.
- Upon arrival, officers located the man and requested numerous times that he drop the knife. When the man would not drop the knife, a conducted energy weapon was deployed by officers.
- The man proceeded to harm himself.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 8:41 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342