SIU Investigating Multi-Vehicle Collision in Toronto
Case Number: 21-TVI-002
- Shortly before 11:30 a.m. on January 1, 2021, a Toronto Police Service officer was conducting radar in the area of Wilson Avenue and Keele Street when the officer observed a Mercedes-Benz SUV traveling at a high rate of speed northbound on Keele Street.
- The officer proceeded to follow the vehicle in an attempt to stop it.
- In the intersection of Keele Street and Sheppard Avenue West, the Mercedes-Benz became involved in a collision with a Honda that had been traveling west on Sheppard Avenue West, and with a Hyundai that had been making a left turn from northbound Keele Street onto Sheppard Avenue West.
- A 23-year-old man from the Mercedes-Benz, as well as a woman from the Honda, were taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. Four individuals from the Hyundai were also taken to hospital, but no serious injuries were sustained.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342