SIU Investigating Circumstances Surrounding Fatal King Township Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-181
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OVD-181
SIU Seeking Assistance to Identify Cyclist Who was Killed in a Collision in King Township
SIU Identifies Cyclist Who was Killed in King Township Collision
Cyclist was Mortally Wounded in King City after Being Struck by Vehicle that had Earlier been Pursued by Police; SIU Determines No Charges to Issue Against York Regional Police Officer
- At approximately 7:10 a.m. on Friday July 24, 2020, a York Regional Police officer was conducting radar when he observed a vehicle traveling northbound on Keele Street at a high rate of speed.
- The officer followed the vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle became involved in a collision with a bicycle in the area of Keele Street and Cavell Avenue.
- The male cyclist was pronounced deceased at scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342