Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Man’s Fatal Fall from Balcony in London
Case Number: 20-OCD-103
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-103
- Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this investigation.
- The scene was examined, and SIU investigators completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Two civilian witnesses have been interviewed. Anyone who may have information about this investigation is urged to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
- Three witness officers have been interviewed. The subject officer provided a copy of her duty notes but declined to be interviewed. Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 267/10 of the Police Services Act, subject officers cannot be legally compelled to present themselves for an interview with SIU investigators and they do not have to provide their notes.
- A post-mortem was conducted on May 10, 2020.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342