SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Kingston
Case Number: 19-OFD-222
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFD-222
- At approximately 2 p.m. on September 12, 2019, in the area of Queen Street and Bagot Street, a Kingston Police officer came upon a 22-year-old man assaulting another individual.
- Additional police officers arrived.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, and one officer discharged his firearm, resulting in the man being struck.
- Soon after the man began harming himself with a knife, a second police officer discharged his conducted energy weapon.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342