SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Peterborough
Case Number: 19-OFD-170
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFD-170
- At approximately 10:30 p.m. on July 23, 2019, police officers near Millbrook began to follow a vehicle of interest – being operated by Mr. Shea – on Highway 115.
- Shortly after, in the area of Highway 115 and The Parkway in Peterborough, the vehicle became involved in a collision with another civilian vehicle.
- Officers approached, and an interaction ensued between them and Mr. Shea.
- One officer discharged his firearm and Mr. Shea was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342