SIU Investigating Fatal Multi-Vehicle Collision in Ottawa
Case Number: 19-OVD-161
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-161
- In the early afternoon hours of July 7, 2019, the Ottawa Police Service and the Ontario Provincial Police were conducting an investigation when they observed a vehicle of interest being operated by a 36-year-old man on Highway 17.
- In the area of Highway 417 and Panmure Road, the vehicle of interest became involved in a collision with another vehicle. The drivers of both vehicles – the 36-year-old man and a 62-year-old woman – were pronounced dead at the scene.
- Other vehicles were involved in the collision. Two individuals from those vehicles were transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342