SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision Greater Sudbury Area
Case Number: 19-OVD-015
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-015
- Shortly before midnight on January 15, 2019, a Greater Sudbury Police Service officer observed an Audi in a restaurant parking lot located at 5085 MR 80.
- When the vehicle left the parking lot, officers attempted to stop it.
- A short time later, on MR 80 and just south of Valleyview Road, the Audi became involved in a collision with another vehicle.
- The drivers of both vehicles were transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
- On Saturday, January 19, 2019, the 29-year-old driver of the Audi succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342