SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Burlington
Case Number: 18-OFD-283
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-283
- In the morning hours of September 22, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were attempting to locate a man who was involved in a motor vehicle collision.
- At approximately 5:30 a.m., a call came into police reporting that a suspicious man was in the bathroom of a gas station at Appleby Line and Harvester Road.
- OPP officers and Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) officers attended the location.
- When the man exited the bathroom, there was an exchange of gunfire between him and five police officers – four from HRPS and one from OPP.
- The man was struck, and pronounced dead at the scene.
- Two HRPS officers were also struck – one who had been involved in the exchange of gunfire and one who had not been involved. They were transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342