SIU Investigating Incident in which a Vehicle Crashed into a Toronto Public Library Building
Case Number: 17-TVI-108
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-108
- Just before 4:00 a.m. on May 11, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers were in the Dupont Street and Lansdowne Avenue area when they encountered a vehicle driving at a high rate of speed.
- Officers attempted to stop the vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle crashed into the Toronto Public Library located at Bloor Street West and Gladstone Avenue.
- A 23-year-old man was taken to hospital with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342