News Release

SIU Updates Investigation Into Halton Custody Injury

Case Number: 06-OCI-107

Other News Releases Related to Case 06-OCI-107

SIU Concludes Investigation into Injuries to Halton Man

Witness Assistance

Fill Out a Witness Form

TORONTO (27 June, 2006) --- Five investigators from the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) are conducting an investigation into an incident that occurred in Burlington on June 25, 2006 involving officers from the Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS).

At about 2:30 a.m., a 19-year-old man was seen brandishing a knife at a restaurant in Burlington. HRPS officers were called and discovered the man, who was suffering from apparent laceration wounds, walking outside the restaurant. A confrontation ensued between the man and several officers near Elizabeth St. and Lakeshore Rd., during the course of which the man was TASERed.

The man was taken to Hamilton General hospital, where he is being treated for laceration wounds.

SIU investigators are probing the circumstances surrounding the man's injuries. The SIU has designated two subject officers and four witness officers from the HRPS and the investigation is ongoing.

The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must

  • consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
  • depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
  • publicly report the results of its investigations
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342